Re: Biber: void-variable TeX-command-list error

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Biber: void-variable TeX-command-list error
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:21:07 -0000

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> TeX-command-list is a variable that is part of AUCTeX. so either
> you're not using AUCTeX, or you're trying to set the value of
> TeX-command-list before AUCTeX is loaded. (Note that per default,
> AUCTeX only sets up autoloads for a few functions, so TeX-command-list
> will not be available until you've actually loaded a TeX file.)

I do have AUCTeX installed, but it is active only when my emacs opens a
.tex file. How can I start emacs without specifying a .tex file for it
to open? I assume that when emacs is started without pointing to a .tex
file, such as when I intend to edit a different kind of document, AUCTeX
is inactive and so the value of TeX-command-list is unknown and so I get
the error.

When I do start emacs on a test .tex file,

  $ emacs /testFiles/test.tex

I get the .emacs warning:

  Symbol's value as variable is void: TeX-command-list

I doubt if relevant, but LaTeX is unable to find my bibliographic
databases, even though I entered their location in the ~/jabref/
directory into .bashrc

  $ echo $BIBINPUTS
  /home/haines/jabref::

where jabref/ is a directory of .bib files. In xdvi, the citations
appear as "[?]".

Haines Brown