Re: problem repeat entry for a number

From: source liu
Subject: Re: problem repeat entry for a number
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:46:13 +0800

>  (defun p-try (&optional arg)
>   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"p\")."
>   (interactive "p")
>   (message "arg is: %S" arg))
>
>  (defun P-try (&optional arg)
>   "Show ARG in the echo area, as by (interactive \"P\")."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (message "arg is: %S" arg))
>
>  (global-set-key [(shift return)] 'p-try)
>  (global-set-key [(meta  return)] 'P-try)
>
> If you evaluate these forms in *scratch*, you can try the
> following experiments:
>
> 1. S-RET
> 2. C-u S-RET
> 3. C-u - S-RET
> 4. C-u - C-u S-RET
> (and so on)

Interesting example, maybe i could start my survey of elisp from here.
Here 4th cases the 2nd C -u serves as mutiple by 4.  Right?

> C-u is a way to supply qualified numerical information, and not
> only numerical.  Perhaps someone who knows its history can explain
> how it evolved to its present functionality.

Got it.  no more questions on this topic for now.

> I am a student of Emacs.

You are modest!

> Thanks for the opportunity to spew.  :-D

did it feel more purify of yourself after spew? :-D

--
Liu An
Institution of modern physics, Shanghai, China