display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM

From: Alex Sparrow
Subject: display-buffer-reuse-frames in a tiling WM
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:33:51 +0100

Hi all,

I have a question about the behaviour of display-buffer-reuse-frames
when using a tiling window manager (Xmonad in my case). The
documentation says:

"In addition, if the value of display-buffer-reuse-frames is non-nil, and
the buffer you want to switch to is already displayed in some frame,
Emacs will just raise that frame."

As I understand it, this just calls XRaiseWindow on the frame in
question. On XMonad (and presumably other tiling WMs) this has no
apparent effect when the frame is on a different workspace. This throws
me into confusion for a few seconds wondering why the buffer hasn't
opened. Is there any way to improve this behaviour? Even being able to
optionally set an URGENT hint on the window would be very useful I
think.

Thanks
Alex