Re: waiting for asynchronous processes

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: waiting for asynchronous processes
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:16:20 +0200

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 03:49:51 +0200
Perry Smith wrote:

> I was hooking this into a keyboard macro so I basically wanted to "do nothing"
> while I waited for the process to complete. What is the proper way to "do
> nothing" in emacs?

Well, `sleep-for' is quite close to "do nothing" I suppose, but I don't
think that's what you want -- you want the process to run and other
stuff to happen when the process finishes, so just staring at the screen
until then seems a more appropriate "do nothing" implementation here.

I also don't think a keyboard macro is suitable for what you're doing.
You will at least need to bind some variable(s) around the `grep'
invocation, and the only way I can think of to do that with a keyboard
macro only would be something like M-:, which would be crazy. Why don't
you just define a command and bind it to a key?

--
Štěpán