RE: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:36:22 -0700

> Drew> interactions between Emacs selection/region and standard paste
> Drew> buffers/clipboards/selections were changed, with no
> Drew> poll - and it is not obvious to a user how to customize Emacs
> Drew> to get back the old behavior.]
>
> This is one of my few longtime gripes with Emacs, so I would be _very_
> interested in the details of the change.  Are they written up
> anywhere? If not, could you summarize them here?

No, I'm afraid I cannot summarize them.  I tried to follow the descriptions and
explanations as they came in (largely in response to my questions like yours),
but at the end of the day I can't tell you succinctly just what went down.  For
one thing, I'm no expert about X-Window selection etc.

You can do `M-x view-emacs-news' in an Emacs 24 build, and then search for
"selection".  This is what you will find.  I think it does help, but it might
not leave things crystal clear for at least some users. ;-)

,----

`----

> Drew> Transient mark mode is already turned on now in Emacs,
> Drew> by default.  The proposed change does not implement or
> Drew> replace delete-selection mode.  What it does is make DEL
> Drew> delete the active region.  The second proposed change
> Drew> lets characters you type replace the active region.
>
> Let us settle this once and for ever:  would the proposal currently
> under consideration change _anything_ for users who set
> transient-mark-mode to nil ?

I don't know.  My guess is no.  Perhaps Richard can explain just what is meant
in this regard, for the two proposals that the poll is about.

[FWIW, I think things would have been clearer if the second proposal (about
type-to-replace) had *not* been included in the (same) poll.  For one thing, the
first poll proposal is already part of Emacs 24, and the second one is not - and
it will not be part of Emacs 24.1.]