Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (ak

From: Jai Dayal
Subject: Re: "like other editors" [was: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete]
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 09:24:02 -0400

I'm confused as to why they conducted a poll in the first place.  Based on the audience (pedantic pseudo-scientists who are simply programmers and not scientists), it's obvious that the people who are against it will be hostile for the most trivial of reasons (hence, they are simple programmers not scientists).

No original functionality will be removed from emacs.  This is just a simple, logical, edition.  To insert a given character, say 'a', who actually highlights a block of text and types 'a'?  One simply moves the cursor to the location and presses 'a'.  This emacs 'feature' is illogical and useless, hence I strongly support the new editions.

But that's moot - the pedantic pseudo-scientists will simply bicker and create the most anecdotal and trivial use cases to justify their position.