Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Poll about proposed change in DEL (aka Backspace) and Delete
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:57:49 -0700

Richard> * Are you in favor of this change?

No.

Richard> * Are you opposed to this change?

Yes.

Richard> * How strongly do you feel about the matter?

Very strongly.

Richard> * What are the cases where you find it helps?

None.  If I know I have an active region, I can kill it with C-w.  The
fact that it goes into the kill ring is not important 99% of the time,
and in the other 1% I can just define a keybinding (perhaps temporary)
for delete-region.

Richard> * What are the cases where you find it hurts?

It would make me scream every time I select a region and then forget
about it (which is _very_ often) and then try to activate
delete-backward-char with DEL (which is _also very often_).  By the way,
what would delete-backward-char be bound to if this change is
implemented?

Richard> * What is your level of Emacs experience?

Experienced Emacs Lisp programmer.

Richard> * What would you think of this further change?

Opposed, on similar grounds.

Richard> Please send your responses to emacs-delete-poll@gnu.org.

All in all, if the change is made I'll just override it in my .emacs :-P

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD