Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: new emacs24 settings (was: Re: Performance problems (CPU 100%) with NULs in files)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:16:51 +0300

> Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:18:00 +0800
> From: Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > (setq-default bidi-display-reordering  nil)
> >

> This helped me with my slow scroll issues.  Holding down arrow on a fully
> maximized frame on a 1080p monitor was spiking my duo-core CPU to 20-25%.
> Scrolling text.  50% of one CPU.  Just to scroll text.

Scrolling how (by what commands)?  What kind of text?  What was the
major mode in that buffer?  Some modes are more expensive in redisplay
than others.  It is impossible to tell whether 50% of a core is
unreasonably high without knowing these details.

> And it would start jumping around almost right away.

Does it behave better if you set redisplay-dont-pause to a non-nil
value?  This will be the default in Emacs 24.

> Do you have any other useful emacs24 settings?

If you tell the details I asked about before, someone might be able to
give you more advice.