Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 14:32:18 +0200

suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

>> I installed a library (auctex-devel). However I cannot  see the info
>> node when I use C-h i.
>
> I don't think auctex-devel has info files (it should have only the
> lisp files).  Regular auctex or auctex-doc should have them. Which
> distro are you on? Maybe you can search for
> /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz using your package manager to determine
> the package?

Ah, sorry.  I've thought with auctex-devel you mean the development
version ouf AUCTeX checked out from the development CVS repository.
That's where my suggestions apply.

If you use some snapshot packages provided by your distro, then I would
assume that the info files are installed correctly and you don't have to
do anything.

So if your package manager installed

  /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz

for you, then I would assume that it added an appropriate entry in

  /usr/share/info/dir

too.  Just open that file and check if if contains a line like this:

  * AUCTeX: (auctex).             A sophisticated TeX environment for Emacs.

If not, then you can add such an entry using

  $ sudo install-info /usr/share/info/auctex.info.gz \
                      /usr/share/info/dir

but IMO, that should have be done by the package manager.

If there is such an entry but the auctex docs are not shown in the index
you get with `C-h i' in emacs, then probably /usr/share/info is not in
your `Info-directory-list'.

Bye,
Tassilo