Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:24 -0000

On Wed, 2011-04-27, despen@verizon.net wrote:
> Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-04-27, haziz wrote:
>>> I want it to open into this
>>> multi-buffer form automatically when visiting a C source file, rather
>>> than having to launch each buffer separately.
>>
>> I get the feeling you have other requirements which I haven't
>> understood yet.  Doing one 'M-x shell' doesn't seem to me like
>> something that has to be automated.
>
> More important, a true emacs user has little need for a shell.

Well, anybody can call himself a true emacs user (even though I myself
is arguing that Haziz shouldn't try to turn Emacs into a "traditional"
IDE).

> The Makefile should launch any tests needed.

Unit tests: yes, definitely. But there are lots of things that don't
fit into the Makefile.

Personally, I always run a shell in a separate terminal emulator (or
many in a screen(1) session). I'm sure I could have used M-x shell
instead, but that's how I learned it.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .