Re: emulate readline

From: despen
Subject: Re: emulate readline
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:14:07 -0400

fork <forkandwait@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Your wish has been granted!  In Emacs, this is invoked with M-s and
>> M-r.  That is
>>
>>    M-x M-r psql RET
>>
>> will show you a past command that matches "psql".
>
> Thanks! That is close, and much better than nothing, but not exactly the ease
> of
> the up-arrow key that cycles through alternatives.
>
> Does anybody have any get-started elisp for this?

I didn't get your question the first time.

By default the up arrow just goes to the previous element.

This is close but not right:

(define-key minibuffer-local-map [(up)] 'previous-matching-history-element)

but it might lead to a solution.

I think you want the up arrow when not on the first position to do a
match.