Re: Git never commits, Magit never pushes

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Git never commits, Magit never pushes
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 13:50:43 +0200

Hi Jambunathan and al.,

Thanks for your answers...

Jambunathan K wrote:
>>> Have you tried vc-git that comes bundled with emacs.
>>
>> Now, yes. But it still does not interest me that much, as there is no
>> interactive diff, which one tool I really need to compare buffers before
>> committing.
>
> I use ediff with git all the time.
>
> Put vc-ediff.el (attached with this mail) in the load-path. Add the
> following code to .emacs.

DONE.

> Now "x" on a vc-dir would hide update and unregistered files. (It will
> only show added/modified files)
>
> "C-x C-v =" on a version controlled buffer would launch ediff window.

You meant "C-x v =", I guess.

> I have been using this setup for a while so I know it works. If something is
> broken it is possible that I haven't copy/pasted some stuff from my init
> file.
>
> [...]

My test on an "edited" file:

VC backend : Git
Working dir: c:/home/sva/src/
Branch     : master
Remote     : git@src.unfuddle.com:src/src.git
Stash      : Nothing stashed

                         ./
                         org/
     edited              org/about.org

gives the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  expand-file-name(nil)
  find-file-noselect(nil nil nil nil)
  find-file(nil)
  my-ediff-revision(nil "HEAD" "")
  (lambda nil (interactive) (my-ediff-revision (buffer-file-name) (read-string
"revision? " "HEAD" nil "HEAD") ""))()
  call-interactively((lambda nil (interactive) (my-ediff-revision
(buffer-file-name) (read-string "revision? " "HEAD" nil "HEAD") "")))
  my-vc-diff(nil)
  call-interactively(my-vc-diff nil nil)

>> I did not find yet, though, how to push it to the Git repo.
>
> C-x v v commits to the local branch. I generally push to the remote repo
> from the shell.

BTW, does using the "vc" backend for Git allow you as well to use exactly the
same key bindings for other backends (SVN, CVS)?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban