Re: Using proportional (variable-width) fonts in Emacs23

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using proportional (variable-width) fonts in Emacs23
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:26:31 -0400

> We do something very similar with fontification.  There's no reason,
> at least not a-priori, that it won't work with alignment.

There's a good reason: fontification does have all the necessary
information in the source file (it does not always make full use of it
because it requires potentially complex parsing, but the info is there).
Whereas for alignment, the info is only in the original coder's head and
needs to be guessed.

        Stefan