Re: Using emerge on windows? Funky errors with Temp files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using emerge on windows? Funky errors with Temp files
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:01:06 +0100

>>> BTW, is there a particular reason you use emerge rather than ediff3?
>>> I thought emerge was only used by old-time users, all new ones
>>> preferring the snazzier ediff3.
>> AFAIK, ediff does not have an interface for commandline usage as an
>> external merge resolution tool.
>
> That'd be easy to add, I'm sure.

I once tried for about a week (since i would have liked to have ediff be
an option for merge resolution in git) and then gave up.  ediff is a
maze of twisty little hooks and indirections, catering without useful
documentation for everything except that which you'd actually need.

In any case, "that'd be easy to add" is nothing that is going to make
users switch.  The proof is in the pudding.

--
David Kastrup