Re: el-get question

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: el-get question
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:11:05 -0500

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:38:11 +0100 henry atting <nsmp_02@online.de> wrote:

ha> Thanks! With some effort I got it working now with orgmode from git; -
ha> okay, it's not bad. Having said that I find it's too much work to do.
ha> In my opinion a `git pull` to obtain the current orgmode version and
ha> adding the directory to the load path is far less time consuming. So
ha> most probably I will refrain from using el-get.

I use el-get for the built-in recipes, but here are two Git-based
recipes mixed in with some built-in ones.  I prefer leaving emacs-w3m
uncompiled, in case you're wondering about the commented-out build prop.

(el-get 'wait (setq
               el-get-sources
               '(
                 (:name emacs_w3m
                        :type git
                        :url "https://github.com/sjatkinson/emacs-w3m.git";
                        :module "emacs-w3m"
                        ;;:build `("autoconf" ("./configure" ,(concat
"--with-emacs=" el-get-emacs)) "make")
                        :build '("")
                        :info "doc"
                        :features w3m)
                 (:name zencoding-mode
                        :type git
                        :url "https://github.com/rooney/zencoding";
                        :module "zencoding-mode"
                        :build '("make")
                        :features zencoding-mode)
                 bbdb csv htmlize markdown-mode pg session tc)))

I also use package.el:

(setq package-archives '(("ELPA" . "http://tromey.com/elpa/";)
                         ("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/";)
                         ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)))

...which may fit your needs as well, though el-get definitely handles
Git pulls better.  What may interest you is that the GNU ELPA has the
daily org-mode build, which you can see at

http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/

so if using the daily build suits you, you may be happy just using that
through the `package-list-packages' interface.

Ted