Re: spacing of ls output in emacs shell

From: Strozzi, David J.
Subject: Re: spacing of ls output in emacs shell
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 13:06:50 -0800

Hi,

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  The upshot is the below solution
seems to still give tabs, but they are displayed as 8-space widths
regardless of the global value of tab-width.  To truly test this, make
sure you ls in a dir that has wide enough filenames that more than 8
spaces are needed between a short name in col. N and col. N+1.

Anyway, I have enough different ways to make ls behave nice that I am
happy.

I generally hate having actual tabs in text files, and try to always have
them expanded as spaces.  Precisely because sharing them among people or
editors wreaks havoc.  12 years ago I got Fortran 77 source with tabs, and
on Windoze a line got rendered as:

   ... x*cos(t)

where the * got pushed to column 73.  So, *cos(t) gets chopped off.  No
compiler error.  AND no numerical error at t=0.

No, I didn't stay up all night thinking up this corner case.  I
encountered it in the wild.  After one day and many curses, I learned to
hate tabs...

Dave