Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font

From: Jorgen Grahn
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font
Date: 28 Feb 2011 18:08:34 GMT

On Sun, 2011-02-27, Javier wrote:
> PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> wrote:

>>> The configure script has no option to use Trolltech's/Nokia's Qt toolkit to
>>> build GNU Emacs with. The options are GTK, the default, Motif, Athena/Athena
>>> 3D/Lucid, or none (plus some exotic ones on Mac OS X).
>>
>> On Debian, you can install the emacs23-lucid package instead of
>> emacs23.  (I have emacs23-lucid installed and I have the
>> set-default-font function.  I don't know if that's the real reason
>> that I have it and you don't.)

Ah -- I saw the emacs23-lucid package, but assumed it referred to
Lucid Emacs, i.e. XEmacs.

> I think the first message refers to these fonts:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_(typeface)

That was indeed what I meant. Thanks.

> You might try emacs -fn 10x20, emacs -fn 8x13... the -fn option works
> with most X applications: xterm... Maybe the original misc-fixed fonts
> are not installed anymore by default in debian because modern
> distributions consider them anticuated and no-longer-in-fashion. They
> did the same with console fonts and now you have to search into the apt
> database to see the old console fonts back.

It's not *that* bad. Like I wrote elsewhere, xterm and friends use
"fixed", For xterm, my normal X resource setting is enough:

  xterm*font: fixed

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .