Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Jim Janney
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:38:53 -0700

Cthun <cthun_117@qmail.net.au> writes:

> On 25/02/2011 1:43 PM, Jim Janney wrote:
>> Anything I'm working on that would be expensive to lose goes under
>> version control anyway.
>
> Then woe betide you if you ever work on, say, a novel rather than a
> computer program.

I haven't written any novels, but the purpose of a version control
system is to manage text, and this is useful in many contexts besides
computer programming: any place where you might want a compact, reliable
history of changes made to a file.  I rarely lose work due to power
failures or software crashes, but I often experiment with making changes
that I later decide not to use.  With a revision control system it's
easy to do that and still get back to a good version.  I could work
without one, but I would have to do everything more slowly and
carefully.

--
Jim Janney