Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:28:50 +0000 (UTC)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.emacs, since this has nothing to do
 with lisp - an option which you curiously have never chosen, despite
 repeated complaints about it not being to do with lisp. ]

On 2011-02-27, Cthun <cthun_117@qmail.net.au> wrote:
> On 27/02/2011 10:46 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Last time I looked, revision control did not concern itself with builds
>> or library dependencies or bug reports or feature requests.
>
> Sure it does.

You're confusing a source code management system with revision
control aka version control. RCS is a version control system - nothing
else.

>> Uh, you already forgot what I wrote about the various versions of
>> articles
>
> No, it's simply not relevant. Articles are typically written, revised,
> and eventually *finished*.

Have you ever actually written an academic article?

> Articles are not typically published with "bugs" and then later
> republished without them. Typical articles are published once and then
> that's it.

You're not an academic, are you?

>>> In short there's almost nothing of what source code control systems
>>> are actually there for. If you want to be able to recover deleted
>>> material you use strikethru (and delete anything still in strikethru
>>> when it's done) or cut it and save it to a clippings file or
>>> something.
>>
>> Gross.  You are not confusing word processing on a computer with
>> handwritten manuscripts by chance?

As David says, gross. What is "strikethru" anyway?

> Of course not. You on the other hand seem to be confusing word
> processing with software development!

Only those who don't know any better use word processors to write
articles. I'm sure David doesn't use a word processor.