Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:47:16 +0100

> This is not exactly what you were asking for.  I wanted to get emacs to
> do what it was doing before.  I followed the instructions but found

Which instructions?

> that it kept creating smaller and smaller windows.  So, now I leave
> split-height-threshold alone and do this (this is inside my
> .emacs.d/init.el file.
>
> (custom-set-variables
> '(split-width-threshold 1600)
> )
>
> which basically says "don't split windows vertically".

Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)

> Setting it to nil didn't have the effect I was looking for.

What effect were you looking for?

To avoid that `display-buffer' creates smaller and smaller windows, set
the values of either or both `split-height-threshold' and
`split-width-threshold' to nil or to some larger value.  If this doesn't
work for you there's a bug; so please try to tell us more precisely what
you wanted to do and how it failed.

Thanks, martin