Re: Possible to hook into Emacs's buffer name generation?

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Re: Possible to hook into Emacs's buffer name generation?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:37:49 -0800

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-02-18 08:28 +0800, Sean McAfee wrote:
>> I thought it might be cool to have Emacs automatically name buffers that
>> are visiting files in my repository with a trailing "<component-x.y.z>"
>> when I open them, where component-x.y.z is simply the closest directory
>> name above the file that matches that pattern.

> Maybe you can build on top of uniquify.el?

I hadn't known of uniquify, but after some experimentation it seems not
to offer everything I'd like.  In particular, I want a trailing
component-x.y.z on the buffer name even when I'm not already visiting
the same file in a different directory.  uniquify only steps in when
there's a name conflict.

I wrote a short find-file hook to fix the buffer name, so it's not that
big a deal.