Running Programs from Inside Emacs

From: haziz
Subject: Running Programs from Inside Emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:08:45 -0800 (PST)

When using emacs for programming in C, I know how to compile programs from
inside emacs using Mx compile to invoke make -k which then compiles using gcc
(I am running Linux Mint on a desktop machine at home and also use Mac OS X on
a laptop).

I have so far been unable to figure out how to "run" the resulting binary from
inside emacs. I would like to be able to then run the binary file from inside
emacs. So far I have had to exit emacs returning to my bash shell to run the
binary by for e.g.    ./helloworld

Is it possible to get a shell prompt inside emacs and run the file in a
secondary buffer within emacs?

I have tried to do a google search about this but most search results seem to
talk only about Mx compile and stop there.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.