Re: Emacs lisp question

From: Ben Key
Subject: Re: Emacs lisp question
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 19:30:11 -0600

Thanks.  That solved my problem.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
> (setq-default cursor-type '(bar . bk-preferred-caret-width))
> bk-preferred-caret-width is a defcustom variable with a
> default value of 2.
>
> Unfortunately this does not have the desired effect.
> However, the following does work.
> (setq-default cursor-type '(bar . 2))
>
> Can anyone suggest how I might get this to work?

Change
'(bar . bk-preferred-caret-width) to
`(bar . ,bk-preferred-caret-width)

The latter is the same as
(cons 'bar bk-preferred-caret-width), which you can also use if you prefer.

Simply quoting the cons cell
(bar . bk-preferred-caret-width)

evaluates to that cons cell itself.  And that cons cell has a car of `bar' and a
cdr that is the symbol `bk-preferred-caret-width'.