Re: Open Hypspec with w3m (morphed into keyboards, etc)

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Open Hypspec with w3m (morphed into keyboards, etc)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:45:51 -0600

On Jan 30, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Krzysztof Bieniasz wrote:

>> Me too.  I was exploring and (blush) discovered that my alt key is
>> hooked up as "super".  Been using GNU emacs since it first appeared in,
>> what was it 86 or so?, and I didn't know that!  I knew that emacs had
>> the lisp super concept but didn't know that it was hooked up on my Mac.
>
> That's funny. My Emacs recognizes the "windows key" as Super and the
> "menu key" as M-x. There are no predefined s- keybindings in Emacs
> (AFAIK) so it's a wonderful opportunity for customizations. It seams that
> the "windows key" won't be disappearing from the PC keyboards anytime
> soon -- although it should be considered a criminal offense to place the
> logo there. There is also the possibility of rebinding the "menu key" to
> Hyper allowing for still greater amount of customizations. It could be
> almost like working on a Lisp Machine :).

I think they roughly match up.  Moving left from the space bar, on the Mac,
you have the "command" key, then the "alt / option" key, then the control key,
and then another key sometimes called control and other times called "fn" on
the laptop's keyboard.

I need to be careful though because I use emacs via VNC / X11.  I need
to experiment while at work to see how these keys map in that environment.