Re: TAGS

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: TAGS
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:24:21 -0600

On Jan 23, 2011, at 5:17 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.01.2011 um 09:12 schrieb simon cossar:
>
>> I am finding all sorts of .elc files. Is it possible that everything has
>> been byte-compiled?
>
> To save space an installation of GNU Emacs can be done by only installing the
> ELC files. If you want to see the EL files, i.e., it's not enough for you
> what C-h f <function name> RET returns, then get the GNU Emacs source code.
> Which is now at #23.2.

Also, it might work to post this same question to an ubuntu list asking for
what to install to get the source.

In case you didn't get the gist of the previous replies, there are two kinds of
source: elisp and c.  With a nice full install (like my Mac has), I can do C-h
<function> to get the built in help.  And then I'll have a link at the top that
will take me to the source no matter whether it is in lisp or C.  Very very
nice to have.

Good luck.

Perry