Re: synchronous network communication?

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: synchronous network communication?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:21:46 +0100

* chris [2011-01-17 03:15] writes:

> and find the results in my buffer.  However, this is an asynchronous
> communication and if the answer takes a while, my code might try to
> deal with the answer before it is ready.  So my question is:  is there
> a way to do this communication in an asynchronous manner?

If you mean synchronous manner, then the answer is no.  A blocking API
would block the event loop and Emacs would appear to be "frozen".

You can however use a process-filter.  That's a function that is called
with the data received from the other end.  So you always know when data is
ready to process.

If you must use a synchronous mode (e.g. for the the completion code)
then you could use accept-process-output and/or recursive-edit but I
would avoid that as long as possible.

Helmut