Viper-mode too slow on OSX Snow Leopard (custom-compiled cocoa emacs 23.

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: Viper-mode too slow on OSX Snow Leopard (custom-compiled cocoa emacs 23.2.1)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:47:17 -0600

Hello everyone,

Putting editor wars aside, I've started using VIM (MacVim to be
specific) and after a steep learning curve, as you might expected, I'm
delighted by the efficient way to manipulate the text. However, I
still use emacs a lot and I don't plan on leaving it, since I have
most of my writings (blog post drafts, notes, todo lists (thanks
orgmode!)) there.

I do, however, want to start using only one navigation model, and the
VIM one is the logical choice for me right now. Luckily emacs has
Viper-mode, but when I activate it on emacs 23, it just renders emacs
so slow to point I can't really use it. Each keystroke takes about
600ms to render to screen, and if I start typing fast, it just hangs
and takes a few seconds to show the whole text.

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
OSX Snow Leopard.

Any ideas of what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.