Re: can a command specify overwrite selection behavior?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: can a command specify overwrite selection behavior?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 18:54:15 +0000 (UTC)

On 2010-12-25, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
>> Essentially, I read this as a detailed explanation of the way this bug
>> is triggered.  If one understands the mechanism of this bug so well,
>> why not fix it?  AFAICS, this subroutine is placed in a wrong hook; it
>> should be executed later...
>
> What bug?

One discussed in this subthread.

> What subroutine?  What hook?  What should be executed later than
> what?

Can't answer these questions: the posted code is not complete.

I expect the subroutine you posted is put into some hook.  This hook
is executed when M-x-handler had no chance yet to change
last-command/this-command.  Hence the hook should better be executed
later than this.

> This behavior is _by design_.

Could you show me the design document specifying that commands MUST
behave differently when executed by M-x?

> Emacs is just doing what it was told to do.

This is a complete nonce.  EVERY piece of software "is just doing what
it was told to do".  Still, some are more buggy, some are less.

Hope this helps,
Ilya