Re: Narrow/widen in folding.el

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: Narrow/widen in folding.el
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:01:16 +0100

> Yes, several modes implement some folding capabilities wtr. some
> syntactic constructs of a programming language.  For example, there's
> also hs-minor-mode, which can collapse/expand blocks in languages like
> C/C++/Java.
>
> That's a good thing, but with outline-minor-mode (or folding.el), you
> can add more coarse-grained sections to structure your code into several
> groups of things (e.g. functions) belonging together, like:
>
> ;;* Code
> ;;** User Variables
> ;;** User Commands
> ;;** Internal Implementation
> ;;*** General
> ;;*** Feature A
> ;;*** Feature B

Ah thanks for hs-minor-mode, it's also quite nice and it works at least
with python and C++.

Sure structuring is very nice, but I don't see why you need it when you
can jump fast to sections?
I use tags, isearch or grep as a last resource, and it's very fast.

> That's what I like with `outline-minor-mode' and my config (i.e. outline
> headings are `comment-start' + one or many *s).  You would comment your
> code anyway (I hope so!), and adding a few * to make a comment a
> headline to make the structure of the file visible is worth it.
>
> But I agree, that I don't like folding.el's obtrusive {{{ ... }}}
> syntax, too.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Well depends, I never comment trivial functions, I try to make them
clear enough and with good names, that's already enough.
So adding a comment just to create the right section would be already
too annoying, but of course becasue I don't really feel I need it.