Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Rajinder Yadav
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:00:12 -0500

On 10-12-20 08:28 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca@gmail.com>  writes:

yes i already have cedet installed and working, but i would rather not
write makefiles by hand. i understand there is also autoconf that can
be used to generate makefiles, possible that's a better way to go,
still i don't feel like investing the time to learn about autoconf at
this point and time

There is also cmake otherwise.
The problem is that or
- you learn a bit the autoconf skills you need (doesn't take long)
   and finally write your own build systems
- you'll be stuck forever with what other people (microsoft/cedet)
   thik is a good idea, and normally it isn't

Using emacs I think it doesn't make any sense to look for tools that
write makefiles for you...

Andrea, thanks for your reply!

My reply here is not a direct response to you, but what i feel in general (a windows IDE guy in a Linux command line world)

I don't quite understand the rational against emacs + auto makefile generation, it kind of hinders progress imho? if someone doesn't like the way emacs or netbean does things (for them) with makefiles, they always have the choice of doing it by hand, that is the beauty of having more choices, so stop taking away my choices if I simply ask or enquire for feature y!

guys like me from the visual IDE environment will have a smaller barrier to entry as a result, overtime we will pickup said skills of making a makefile by hand, using autoconf or cmake, etc.

i've never had the need to create a makefile or edit one by hand when i code using visualstudio, all i care about is coding my project in C++ and getting on with life. people like me need a bridge when we come over to the open source world, when we start using linux or emacs, etc. most of the time we are met with ridicule about how absurd our needs and demands are, so opportunity is lost when some decide why bother with open source, etc. el

i love ruby on rails hacking, i love doing everything from the command line, it's more faster and efficient coding a rails app when compared to doing it with netbeans + ide, or whatever IDE is out there!

i can tell you i spent countless hours searching the net and reading stuff just to figure out how to use emacs and get it setup with stuffs like ido, ecb, cedet and yasnippet learning all the key binding and how to edit the .emacs files, the barrier to entry to become more efficient with "emacs" is high

i like having ecb for file browsing, i don't always use it, sometimes i use the file searching power of ido, but i have a choice when to use which in emacs

i am very grateful to the open source community that has made emacs a better tool for me and many more that help answer all my questions on mailing list or write blogs.

yes i discovered this gdb setting on the emacs-fu blog, however i have
2 questions

1) when i have EBC opened gdb-many-windows end up looking like a mess,
is there a way to get it to work with EBC?

2) i can't figure out how to set breakpoint, can't i simple click
someone in the source window to add a bp?

For a breakpoint you can click, use the space bar or the standard gdb:
"b File.cpp:#line" or "b Class::function"

clicking for me doesn't set the breakpoint when i have the source file open in the buffer, i am still in edit mode?

i see many gdb windows, but where do I type, b File.cpp:#line ??

here is what i do

1. open a simple .cpp source file in emacs, a hello world file in C++
2. m-x gdb

source buffer disappears, replaced by gdb buffer

3 m-x gdb-many-windows
i still don't see my source code window? now where do i click to set a break point?

if i switch the gdb buffer to display my source code buffer, i can't type in the gdb command while still looking at my source buffer? how is one to work in this kind of setup

can i not have a source buffer and a gdb buffer open at the same time, still where do i click to set the break point?

Thanks

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-23-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.3