Re: umlaute not recognized

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: umlaute not recognized
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:59:39 +0100

Am 20.12.2010 um 13:57 schrieb ken:

I then see a 'U' in the second column of the status line.  Sometimes
there are characters in the file which are not UTF-8 and so which don't display properly; they appear as '\366' or suchlike... a backslash and a
three-digit number.  Attempting to save the file, I'm queried about
them.  But I do a search-and-replace on these and when they're all
removed, the file is properly saved in UTF-8.

You could as well undo all editing or kill that buffer at once without saving, reopen it in the correct encoding, add the "header line" with the local variable settings, and then choose an UTF-8 encoding for saving! (Try it!)

Or you could use recode or iconv to change the file's encoding...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
                                – Hunter S. Thompson