Re: query replace

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: query replace
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 22:07:44 +0000 (UTC)

Russ P. <russ.paielli <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On Oct 7, 9:39 pm, "Russ P." <russ.paie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am in the process of trying to switch from XEmacs to Emacs. I am
> > confused about how to use query replace in Emacs.
> >
> > In XEmacs, I go to Edit/Replace, and I get a "query replace" prompt. I
> > enter the search string, hit return, then enter the replacement
> > string. It then automatically takes me to each occurrence of the
> > search string, where I can hit y or n to tell it to replace or not
> > replace. Or I can hit ! to replace all occurrences at once.

This is the behaviour of GNU Emacs on every system I have used.

> > When I do the same thing in Emacs, up to entering the search and
> > replacement strings, it does nothing. What am I supposed to do to
> > actually replace occurrences of the search string? Sorry if I am being
> > dense, but it was so easy in XEmacs. Thanks.
> >
> > Russ P.
>
> The problem I outlined above was on my home computer, but when I tried
> it on my work computer it worked as I expected it to work. Both
> machines are running emacs 23 on Linux. I don't know what is wrong on
> my home machine.

Try running `emacs -Q' on your home machine and trying query-replace
again.  If the behaviour is as expected (i.e. same as on your work
machine and XEmacs), then the cause of the problem is in either your
personal or system init-file.

Let us know how this goes and we can troubleshoot from there.

--Aidan