arc-mode on Win32 system with GNU emacs23.2

From: Rudolfo Ungern
Subject: arc-mode on Win32 system with GNU emacs23.2
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:31:34 -0000

Planning for an upgrade of gnu emacs from 22.3 to 23.2 on my Win2k
system
(hoping for a better integration of version control, speedbar, cedet)
but I came
across a show stopper for me: arc-mode is not working reliably.
With Emacs-22 I used GNU Emacs as alternative for a zip file viewer
like 7zip
or Winzip. Just drag'n'drop the zip files onto emacs and I was even
able to
directly view images inside emacs and the archive.

Now with emacs-23 I can see the the archive listing, but if I try to
view a file
in the archive I receive:

  caution: filename not matched: "fileInZip.txt"

The *Messages* buffer says:

 Parsing archive file...done.
 File mode specification error: (error "Buffer format not recognized")

I tried debugging the archive-extract function but could not really
figure out
what's wrong. Seems to be something with multibyte encoding. At least
a diff
between the arc-mode.el that comes with emacs22 and the one of emacs23
showed that most changes are related with encoding.

.tar.gz files and tar-mode do not have any encoding issues in emacs32
though!?

I am using Info Zip's unzip (UnZip 5.31) and zip (Zip 2.1) from the
path.
Could a change of the command line tools help?

On a Linux system I have Debian Lenny, so that's GNU emacs 22 again,
and
hence I can't say if the problem is only related with Win32.

Any help or pointers are appreciated ...
Thanks in advance, Rudolfo.

This is my exact version:

 GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
  of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t