Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Russ P.
Subject: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:07 -0000

As I explained a few days ago, I am trying to switch from XEmacs to
Emacs so I can use Ensime (an Emacs-based IDE for Scala). I finally
got my .emacs file debugged, but now I am finding that Emacs seems to
be very slow when used remotely.

When I work from home, I login from one Linux machine to another using
ssh -X over a high-speed Internet connection, using my home machine as
an X terminal for my work machine. I am using Emacs 23.2.1 on Red Hat.
I am finding that opening a file or switching buffers by middle-
clicking in dired or the buffer menu takes approximately 20-30
seconds. With XEmacs it takes less than one second. I hope I am doing
something wrong that can be corrected, because I'll grow old sitting
around that long every time I open a file or switch buffers. Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Russ P.