Re: Doc-view fonts

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Doc-view fonts
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:37:11 -0000

Tim, your comments appreciated.

Yes, the culprit is ghostscript, which renders a pdf with
non-antialiased fonts. I looked at the manual and did some on-line
searching, but found nothing about getting ghostscript to do any
antialiasing. The gs option -dTextAlphaBits=4 did not help. None of the
emacs options regarding doc-view appear relevant.

I have a workable alternative, which is, while in sunrise-commander, to
bring up emacs' shell, and then I need simply do ! and RET, for the
default is the xpdf external program to run on the selected pdf
file. The result of this is a readable PDF that has text that can copied
and pasted (well, some older PDFs from the 1990s can't), and search
works as one would expect.

This is so easy, the obvious question is, why was the Doc-view mode
created in the first place? Surely I'm not the only person who has tried
to use it. It is rather useless at my end, and yet I don't find cries of
complaint on line.

Haines