Using VC mode with ediff?

From: Markus Schöpflin
Subject: Using VC mode with ediff?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:31 -0000

In the past I have been a happy user PCL-CVS which has an easy way to invoke ediff from the CVS status buffer.

As we are now moving to a distributed VC (mercurial) I have switched to use VC mode, assuming that it would provide the same seamless integration of ediff as PCS-CVS does.

Currently it looks that my assumption was wrong, and VC mode doesn't provide any support at all for ediff. Is this correct?

Searching for a solution to this problem I discovered vc-ediff.el (see http://github.com/smaclennan/dot-xemacs/blob/master/site-packages/lisp/sam/vc-ediff.el) which, along with the following lines in my .emacs, allows me to use "C-x v =" to invoke ediff in a buffer visiting a version controlled file.

---%<---
(require 'vc-ediff)
(eval-after-load "vc-hooks"
  '(define-key vc-prefix-map "=" 'vc-ediff))
--->%---

The problem is, when I invoke vc-ediff in a buffer in VC dir mode, it compares the contents of the VC dir mode buffer with the selected file, which of course isn't very helpful at all.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Or is there another way to get VC mode and ediff to work together?

Thanks for any help,
Markus