x-symbol?

From: Mario S. Mommer
Subject: x-symbol?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:09 -0000

Hi,

One of the things I use emacs for is writing LaTeX documents, and
besides auctex and reftex, there is one package that is very important
and useful to me: x-symbol. The bad news is that the package has been
orphaned some while ago, and is suffering from bitrot. This is really
unfortunate, because x-symbol has two features that I have not found
anywhere else: an input method based on shortcuts and modifiers for
quite a few latex symbols, and optic sugar for many symbols, so that
e.g. \alpha appear as the greek letter alpha on screen. For some reason,
I find these two features really help a lot.

My questions are:

 - does anyone have a version of x-symbol that runs on emacs 23 and is
   willing to share it here?

 - Does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks,

       Mario