Line number display glitch

From: Matt
Subject: Line number display glitch
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:01 -0000

Hey,

I'm very new to both programming and Emacs.  I've been slaving away in
order to learn more about Emacs and get it set up visually and
otherwise in a way that will make it suit my working preferences more.

One issue I've run into is that when line numbers are enabled for
globally for all lines, there is a display bug wherein the line
numbers are garbled looking until one scrolls down.  At this point the
numbers fix themselves.

I'm running Emacs 23 on Mac OS X.

I have two screenshots, one of the margin numbers glitchy, and another
where they have fixed themselves after scrolling up and down.  They
are ( http://imgur.com/C537K.png ) and ( http://imgur.com/9CLMA )
respectively.

Is there any way to have the line numbers displayed correctly on
initial opening?

Thank you for any help that you can provide.