RE: what is <find>?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: what is <find>?
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:34:52 -0800

> After I did a nonincremental search with M-x search-forward, Emacs
> sent me this text message: "You can run the command  'search-forward'
> with <find>." Can someone please tell me what "<find>" is? I found
> something about "find" in the manual related to dired, but it didn't
> look related. And googling <find> is hard because Google ignores
> special characters when searching.

Consider filing a bug for this: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  Most keyboards do not
have a <find> key.  A better default binding should show up in the help.  But it
seems that no other key is bound to `search-forward' by default.

That no other key is bound is probably not a bad thing, but then why bind a key
(<find>) that is basically only logical (doesn't exist for most keyboards)?

You can bind your own key to `search-forward', of course.