Re: <up> or <left> clearing the mark in Emacs 23.2

From: John McCabe
Subject: Re: <up> or <left> clearing the mark in Emacs 23.2
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:15:32 -0000

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:16:30 -0400, Lowell Gilbert
<lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

>John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I've only recently moved to Emacs 23.2 from 22.3, and I'm finding
>> something a bit odd and not sure where to look for details. It may be
>> something to do with my settings, and I'll upload my .emacs etc if
>> necessary, but I was hoping someone might just know the answer off the
>> top of their head.
>>
>> On 22.3, with transient-mark-mode enabled, if I have a buffer of text,
>> go to the start using C-Home (beginning-of-buffer), set the mark
>> (C-@), go to the end of the buffer using C-S-End (end-of-buffer), then
>> go up a line using the up arrow (previous-line) or left arrow
>> (backward-char) then the highlighted region changes to between the
>> mark and the point as I think has been the case for many years.
>>
>> On my 23.2 setup, which uses basically the same .emacs and other
>> initialisation files (so may have some obsolete configuration settings
>> still in there - don't know how to tell if these have changed meaning
>> or are really obsolete), when I do the above sequence of keypresses,
>> the highlighted region disappears when I press the up or left arrow.
>>
>> Something seems to be clearing the mark when I do this.
>>
>> If anyone can suggest why this is I'd really appreciate your help.
>
>I think it's something local to your configuration.  The way to check
>this is to run emacs with the '-q' option.  You also might want to look
>at the "Mark changes" section in the NEWS file (C-h n).

Thanks for those suggestions.

runemacs -q sometextfile.txt

from a command prompt (Windows 7 64-bit by the way) shows the same
behaviour.

However your pointer to the "Mark changes" section was really useful..
it seems to be a temporarily active regions thing:

"*** Temporarily active regions, created using shift-selection or
mouse-selection, are not necessarily deactivated in the next command.
They are only deactivated after point motion commands that are not
shift-translated, or after commands that would ordinarily deactivate
the mark in Transient Mark mode (e.g., any command that modifies the
buffer)."

If I do C-S-End, then up-arrow the highlighted region disappears, but
if I do S-<up> it doesn't. Similarly, if I do C-End then <up> it
doesn't disappear.

So - looks like it's a matter of getting used to using C-End instead
of C-S-End probably!

Thank you very much for your time!!

John