Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:11:11 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 3, 8:24 pm, des...@verizon.net wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> I've been earning a living programming since 1964.
>
> >> If I was told that I had to use a specific IDE, I'd quit.
>
> >> A programmable editor makes 10x more sense to me than some
> >> other developers idea of what I need to develop software.
>
> > After 40+ years spent programming, I'd bet you know your way around
> > your editor of choice.  Should we spend the same amount of time with
> > Emacs to be able to develop software with it?
>
> If you are trying to make the point that it takes 40 years of experience
> to use Emacs, I disagree.

The point I was trying to make is that it takes a great lot of time -
of course, 40 years was an exaggeration - to use Emacs as an IDE
comparable to Visual Studio and his friends.

I think you're neglecting the fact that you had the chance to start
simple.  You learned to use Emacs as your development environments
while others were using some other editor.  The competition was fair,
then.  Nowadays, every code monkey using an IDE will draw circles
around you while you fight to develop software by using Emacs.

> The key point is that Emacs is programmable.  Use tools that can
> adapt to your needs.

Right, but once you do know what your needs are and after having
learned how they have been solved by other experienced programmers.