Re: Copying to unicode.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Copying to unicode.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:25 -0000

On Nov 4, 12:27 am, "Steven W. Orr" <ste...@syslang.net> wrote:
> People send me stuff from Outlook all the time. I sometimes want to copy some
> of the text to a file I'm editing in emacs. The text displays fine in emacs,
> but what I really want to do is to set myself up so that *funny* characters
> end up being pasted in using unicode.

This should happen by default. What platform are you using, and what
version of Emacs?

> I see that there's something called the nonascii-translation-table. I'm
> looking for low-hanging fruit. Has anyone already written something cool that
> translates funny characters to keep me in unibyte? Examples would be:

Unibyte is something different and incompatible with Unicode, and if
you are trying to "keep in unibyte" then that probably explains why
pasting Unicode characters will not work.

article-treat-dumbquotes in gnus-art probably has what you want, but
will require that the characters are correctly decoded to start with.