Re: (cperl-mode) Problems with syntax highlighting after __DATA__ !

From: LanX
Subject: Re: (cperl-mode) Problems with syntax highlighting after __DATA__ !
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:08 -0000

Hi

> Ilya wrote:
> Sorry, not good enough for me.  If you have *specific* examples of
> *short* stuff which causes a hanging, I may have a chance to try to
> put some workarounds.

As I said my case consists of 5000 lines of HTML-code. So a short
example is not possible.

I would greatly appreciate a possibility to switch of perl
highlighting behind __DATA__.

Some people put perl-code there most don't.

IMHO some HTML causes the highlighter to go astray in very deep back-
tracking recursion.

> And BTW "hanging" means what?  One needs to press C-g, or what?

As I said slowing down when scrolling, till the point of
unresponsiveness and the need to kill emacs from shell.

Of course I tried C-g and ESC ESC ESC, but it didn't help, and at the
beginning there is a busy animation shown as mouse pointer.

> Stefan wrote:
> What happens if you use perl-mode instead of cperl-mode?

perl-mode also tries to highlight behind __DATA__, and also slows down
when scrolling sometimes showing a busy mouse pointer. But it doesn't
really hang for more than a second!

(which is no surprise since perl-mode does less highlighting than
cperl-mode - perl has a very rich syntax, maybe the richest of all
mainstream languages)