Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: Why is Emacs so slow when used remotely?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:21 -0000

On 9/21/2010 12:20 AM, Russ P. wrote:

When I work from home, I login from one Linux machine to another using
ssh -X over a high-speed Internet connection, using my home machine as
an X terminal for my work machine. I am using Emacs 23.2.1 on Red Hat.

You haven't mentioned how you are running the remote Emacs. I presume via X windows?

I have never been happy with the performance of X windows myself. If I have to access remote stuff, my solutions are:

1. To try remote file access from a local Emacs session. You can tunnel various file access protocols through SSH (I tunnel SMB from Windows), and there is also Emacs's own tramp which allows you to access remote files.

2. Run Emacs on the remote machine and connect to it from a locally run emacsclient.

Cheers,
Uday