Emacs version and LISP interpretation

From: richard.christensen
Subject: Emacs version and LISP interpretation
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:07:57 -0000

Hi,

I was transferring a new mode and .emacs file from my PC to my work
linux box.  My PC is running 23.1.1 and my linux box is running
21.3.1.  Anyway I was getting the following error from the Linux
version "Invalid escape character syntax".  I was able to trace it
down to instances like (insert ?\s). My PC will insert a space and on
the linux box will give an error.  I did try (insert " ") and this
works just fine as well as (insert ?\t).  Why isn't \s recognized?  Is
this common problem from older versions?  What would be the best work-
around?  Have the current version of emacs installed?

Thanks.

Richard.