Re: line-move-visual

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:55 -0000

On 6/15/2010 7:54 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

Well, C-f C-n is all you need.  I mean, keep C-f pressed until the
cursor reaches the column you want, you don't even need to count
76.  And keep C-n pressed until the cursor reaches the line you want.

Except that pressing control-key for that long with your pinky is a health risk!

But I feel this discussion is tangential. Most of us accept that visual line movement is a /good/ idea and we find it useful in lots of contexts. We are grateful for Stefan & co for thinking of it and implementing it.

The question is really whether it should have been made the default.

Every time I narrowed down to that issue in this thread, the participants have fallen silent (first Xah Lee then Tim Cross, Alan Mackenzie and Stefan himself). I guess there is no good answer to it.

There is no need for us to beat a dead horse. If the developers accept that it is a bad idea to introduce backward-incompatible changes for flimsy reasons, Emacs will be a more useful system for all of us than it currently is.

Fortunately, nothing major is going to fall apart as a result of `next-line' changing its meaning. But I hope that we can arrest this trend right here so that we don't have to put up with more pain in future.

Cheers,
Uday