Re: Are there any problems with lexical-let or other cl-macros???

From: LanX
Subject: Re: Are there any problems with lexical-let or other cl-macros???
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:10:58 -0000

> "Reader macros" are not the same as macros defined with defmacro.  In
> Common Lisp the reader ie. the function that turns text into
> s-expressions can be customized.  A typical reader macro is #' which is
> responsible for converting #'foo to (function foo).  Emacs' reader is
> not customizable.  Even ' is which turns 'foo into (quote foo) is a
> reader macro.

(please correct me if I don't get it right in my words)

So defmacro is restricted to defining macros with "function syntax" -
ie "(macro ...)" -  while reader macros could be triggered by any
character, opening the possibility to even extend the syntax to have
special markup for different data structures?

Interesting... :)