Emacs slow away from home

From: Ron House
Subject: Emacs slow away from home
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:07:07 +1000

I have been using emacs on my laptop under linux for a long time, but I have just noticed that if I open emacs when I am away from home, it takes something like 2 minutes or more to start up.

At home it is a second or two.

I can only think that this is somehow related to being out of range of our home network. Since I only use emacs to edit files, I can do without whatever internet services it is trying to access.

Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem?

In case it is relevant, here is what emacs says about itself:

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-11-10 on raven, modified by Debian

This is running under debian etch.

Thanks in advance!

--
Ron House