Re: vc-dir and Bazaar

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: vc-dir and Bazaar
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:56:56 +0200

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:47:24 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
>> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:45:19 +0200
>>
>> > AFAIK, support for distributed features on VC(-dir) is still
>> > missing. What you can use are the features common with centralized
>> > systems: commit, diff, log, etc.
>>
>> How can I do that with vc-dir when I can't get a listing of any files at
>> all?
>
> The commands pointed out by Óscar usually make sense on so-called
> "interesting" files -- those you have uncommitted changes for, those
> that were not add to the VC, etc.  And vc-dir is documented to show
> only those "interesting" files.  In your case, evidently there are
> none.
>
> IOW, before you can meaningfully use vc-dir, you need to do something
> worthy of it ;-)  E.g., modify some file.

Ok.  So, since my Emacs trunk tree is a mirror of the Savannah trunk and
I only update it, I can't use vc-dir to do this.  Moreover, I can't use
it to merge the updated files from the trunk to my quickfixes branch.
But once I have merged them from the command line, I can see them vc-dir
(I just did this and do see them).  So now I should be able to commit
the merged files, right?  I type `M' to mark all the files, then `v',
then a log buffer pops, I write "Merge from trunk", type `C-c C-c' and
get:

"bzr: ERROR: Selected-file commit of merges is not supported yet: files
ChangeLog, configure, configure.in, lisp/ChangeLog, lisp/play/tetris.el,
lisp/progmodes/ps-mode.el, src/ChangeLog, src/alloc.c, src/font.c,
src/frame.c, src/ralloc.c, src/w32menu.c"

Does that mean I can only commit single files?  It doesn't seem worth
using vc-dir for that.  I think the manual should document these
limitations.

Steve Berman