why is emacs using all my memory

From: David Pleydell
Subject: why is emacs using all my memory
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 02:22:53 -0700 (PDT)

I have writen a program in C (called from a script in R) that I run inside
emacs. The program is still in development phase so I have it spit out lots and
lots and lots of text for monitorring progress. The program runs for several
days.

After half a day emacs is now using over 3Gb of RAM (almost half of my RAM). So
I killed all the old text and purged the kill ring using M-:(setq kill-ring
nil). But this hasn't freed the 3Gb. I have no idea what emacs is doing with
this 3Gb, there are no other processes running. How can I diagnose what process
within emacs is using this memory? Perhaps there is there some kind of "M-x
top"?

thankx
David